Monday, August 18, 2014

New England Crawfish Rolls

Who doesn't like to get food gift from someone? Especially when it's from a fellow 37 Cook! You know it's going to be good, and you know it's going to be something original. I was paired up with Christine and I'll tell you something, she came through like a trooper. I have had a fascination for a very long time with lobster rolls and well, obviously she couldn't send me those, but she did send me the rolls themselves. I was also lucky enough to receive a famous Rhode Island clam cakes batter mix. Let me tell you, the wheels started going then. I thought a little mix of North and South was in order. It is crawfish season and what better for a light lunch? A Crawfish Roll! First let me disclose...I went to a Crawfest hosted by our local Saafe House and was lucky enough to score some freshly boiled crawfish. It was a win for me, one for the recipe event. I could have purchased some frozen ones, but I don't think I could have gotten the same consistency with the product. Let's get started!

New England Crawfish Rolls
by Traci
Remoulade Sauce adapted from Elise Bauer at Simply Recipes 

Remoulade Sauce:
1/4 cup mayo
1/8 cup cracked pepper mustard
1/8 teaspoon paprika
1/8 teaspoon Slap Ya Mama Original Blend Cajun Seasoning
1/8 teaspoon horseradish
1/4 teaspoon minced garlic

Crawfish Rolls:
6 ounces cooked crawfish tails
1 egg, beaten
2 Tablespoons milk
4 top-split rolls
1 cup seasoned breading mix
Oil for frying
1 cup shredded lettuce
1 Roma tomato, sliced

Prepare the remoulade beforehand, because the longer it melds together the better it gets. Combine all ingredients and cover. Refrigerate until you need it.

In a small bowl add the beaten egg and milk to your crawfish. Let that sit for a few minutes while you put the rolls into the oven. At 300°F, just warm your rolls through. They will get a great crunch on the outside, but will be so light and airy on the inside. Pull them out and set aside.

Heat oil in a medium frying pan.

Add the breading mixture into a zip lock bag. Add in cooked crawfish and mix until they are coated. Add to heated oil. Cook only until you get a great golden brown on the breading. Let drain well when finished.

To assemble, add a swipe of the remoulade sauce to each side of the roll. Layer tomato slices on each side. Place cooked crawfish into the rolls and top with some shredded lettuce. I also added some remoulade on the side.

Serve and watch the smiles. A great combo of the crunch of the crawfish with the extreme tender of the roll. North and South Collide!!!

Thanks to Christine!

No comments:

Post a Comment