Thursday, September 6, 2012

Friends of 37 Cooks




Doesn't this look incredibly delicious? I'll answer that for you. Yes, it does! We'd like to welcome our first Friend of 37 Cooks, Maurita Plouff. Maurita is an excellent cook, an excellent friend, and an excellent blogger. Check out her blog called Get the Good Stuff. We're so glad Maurita decided to join us in our latest food challenge, Carrie's Pie Challenge. We'll be featuring Maurita's recipes today and tomorrow. Enjoy! And consider joining us in our next food challenge!

37 Cooks

*********************************************************************************

For the pie challenge! I have wonderful heirloom tomatoes that were just begging to be used.

Large Tart: Leek/Artichoke/Tomato Tart
Small Tartlettes: Gruyere/Leek/Tomato Tartlettes
1) Pastry: I used a standard 3:2:1 pate brisee for the pastry, blind-baked at 325˚.
2) Assembly instructions: Slice 2 large tomatoes (I used one red and one yellow) and lay the slices on several thicknesses of paper towels. Salt the slices lightly and top with more paper towels. Let these slices drain while you blind-bake the tart shells.

FILLING (LARGE TART):
Combine: 
1 1/2 c dry ricotta 
1/4 c chopped artichokes
1/2 c sauteed leeks 
1-2 tsp pesto, to taste
1/4 c grated Parmesan cheese

Spread this evenly in the bottom of the tart. Top with the drained slices of tomatoes. Spray with a bit of olive oil, or drizzle the oil on top. 

Bake at 425˚ 15-20 min, until the filling is hot and the edges of the tomatoes just beginning to brown. Let stand 15 min, sprinkle with herbs (I used fresh oregano) and serve. 

Also good at room temperature. 






FILLING (SMALL TART):
Drain tomatoes as above; using smaller tomatoes (I used green and red varieties)

sprinkle 1/4 c shredded gruyere on the bottom of the tart shells
top with 1/4 c sauteed leeks 
top with drained sliced tomatoes 
sprinkle with just a few more shreds of cheese

Bake in 400˚ oven 10 min or so, until tomatoes are wilting, and the cheese is beginning to brown. Let stand 10-15 min before serving.

8 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this Maurita. It is definitely something I want to make.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my! Pie! Really lovely, Maurita!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those look delicious, Maurita! I'll be making those this weekend, I have leeks and giant tomatoes from the farm stand around the corner. This perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks stunning and delicious, Maurita! I think I'll make that this weekend. I have leeks and giant tomatoes that I got from the nearby farm stand. Now I have something delicious to do with them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are so beautiful, Maurita!

    ReplyDelete